Enjoy the mid-century design of this historic pamphlet from 1950, “What CVA means to you, the Columbia is our river”
This pamphlet was authored by The League for CVA and was designed to promote the creation of a Columbia Valley Administration organization. The pamphlet begins, “The Columbia is a river of gold–in terms of potential resources the RICHEST RIVER IN THE WORLD. Its waters and surrounding lands contain an almost inexhaustible supply of benefits, natural riches that are the key to the greatness of the Pacific Northwest.”
This item comes to Western Waters from the University of Washington’s Grand Coulee Dam collection, which “contains images of photographs and text documenting the creation of the Grand Coulee Dam, built during the first half of the twentieth century. Included are images of the Works Progress Administration work camps, land clearing activities, the moving of towns, and the dam construction itself. Also presented are documents outlining arguments both for and against this enormous undertaking.”
View the Grand Coulee Dam collection at the University of Washington University Libraries.
View more pamphlets from the Western Waters Digital Library
The item of the week is a Lighthouse at junction of the Columbia and the Willamette Rivers. This is a tinted postcard that comes to the Western Waters Digital Library from the University of Oregon’s Columbia River Basin collection. The description for the item is, “A tinted photographic postcard. The legend in red at upper left reads “Lighthouse at junction of the Columbia and the Willamette Rivers.” The lighthouse, which stands in the middle of the water, is a wooden structure with a metal roof. The wooden pilings and beams supporting the living quarters are built in a square, but the building itself is octagonal. On the lowest level is a fenced deck surrounding the building; the level above that features four tall gable windows, one looking to each of the four directions. At the top is a fenced widow’s walk. On the left side of the building can be seen a lantern and a tall pole, perhaps a lightening rod. On the shore beyond the lighthouse are trees. The lighthouse was built near Kelly Point in 1895. In 1935 the lighthouse was electrified and no longer needed keepers to light the lantern or ring the fog bell. It was sold and moved during the 1940s and burned during the 1950s.”
View more historic postcards in the Western Waters Digital Library
Western Waters Columbia River Basin Research Guide